Thursday, April 30, 2009

My house - Part 1

I have realized that, for the most part, my favorite blogs to read are the ones where everyday people post pics of how they've decorated their houses. I love getting ideas for my own home and seeing the little crafty projects they have done. My house isn't anything like some of the ones I've seen but I thought I'd share it anyway. I think I'll do it in three parts so this doesn't become the world's longest post. Hope somebody gets an idea or two!
I'll start with the porch:
First of all, I have a slight houndstooth obsession. You will see it all around my house. I also have a Ballard Designs obsession. So when I saw this houndstooth doormat on clearance in Ballard's catalog it was a no brainer. The little bench and chalkboard easel came from an antique store. The bench was red but the perfect size so I painted it with leftover paint from my living room and glazed it afterward.
My favorite hobby is painting. Not walls, but objects or furniture. This year one of my favorite things to paint is flower pots. Right now this one is leopard print but who knows if it will stay that way the whole summer!
Next, my entryway. I love this secretary cabinet. My grandparents just moved into assisted living and they have passed down some furniture to me. This belonged to my grandfather's grandfather. I'm still in the process of decorating it but I thought I'd show it because I think it's beautiful.This cream can came out of their shed. I about had a heart attack when I saw it! I think my Papa thinks I'm crazy for wanting to display a "dirty" cream can in my home. It has the numbers on it and everything!This is on the wall opposite the secretary. I heart Uppercase Living. In fact, I think I might have an addiction. The "Home" is in a metallic silver.Ok, the living room: One of my favorite projects was making this coffee table/ottoman. It's soooo easy to do. Note the houndstooth pillow on the right. This wall color is Weekend Getaway from Benjamin Moore. It took me forever to find the right color. I wanted a soothing spa-ish blue-green color with the right amount of gray in it to keep it muted. Gee, I can't imagine why that was hard to find. The tray on the table is actually just a mirror. I painted it silver and glazed it to look a bit old.
This desk belonged to my grandmother on my other side. It was her great aunts. It is so neat to see something in my home and remember exactly where it always stood in my grandma's house when I was growing up. My grandpa found the little chair in his attic and I recovered the seat with leftover fabric from one of my couch pillows. The quilt was in their house too.
I am finally happy with my mantle. The topiaries are from Ballard Designs. The letter you can find at Hobby Lobby. It used to be gold but I just painted it silver and hung it from some cute polka-dot ribbon.
Lastly, my kitchen: Once again with the houndstooth. I'm not sure I will ever finish painting this table. On projects that take awhile, like this one, I get bored and move on to something else. Maybe someday..... Note the Uppercase Living above the mirror. Man, I love that stuff.
This silverware cabinet and sterling tea set also came from my grandparents. I grew up with her telling me that set would be mine one day so it means alot. Above it are a couple of canvases I painted to look like ones I saw in Ballard. On the other side of the window there are two more to balance it out. The edge of the chair you see will soon have a cream slipcover on it with a chocolate brown "S" painted on the back. Just waiting for my birthday money :)
Um, can you say easiest project ever? Think fabric scraps and lots of hot glue. Your done.
Another easy project: I taped off a rectangle on the wall and painted it with chalkboard paint. I then went and painted a silver border around it and hot glued on some rhinestones.
This little area is right next to my kitchen sink. I really need some cute dishtowels! If anyone reading this makes cute ones feel free to send me one!
This little corner is by my stove. The little birdie is holding my silver measuring spoons.

Here is my last pic: This area isn't finished because I have such cute plans for that silver tray. I saw this idea here. Just as soon as I can find what I did with my chalkboard paint I will be painting the flat part of the tray. I will then add a cute bow to the top and write different scriptures on it. Won't that be cute! I would just go buy more paint but since we are in Financial Peace University, as I have mentioned before, I don't feel Dave Ramsey would approve at this time. Bummer.

Hope you got some ideas! Tomorrow I will do our bedrooms!

3 comments:

  1. I have to know more about those art pieces behind your couch. I really need something like that. Did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer, I bought those canvases from an interior designer that did my mom's house. I saw them in one of her show homes and had to have them since they match my colors perfectly. They would be so easy to make, however. She bought the canvases and paisley stencil at Hobby Lobby. She only used a section of the stencil because it is a full sheet of a busy paisley pattern. Just brush on three different colors for the backdrop and let them streak together in a vertical pattern. Just keep adding colors until you have the desired effect. Then just tape down your stencil and use spray paint to fill in the paisley pattern. Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa, you're putting me to shame. Your house looks amazing. I think Summer's right....those canvases are breathtaking. You have done a great job.

    Still haven't tried any of your 'product' recommendations yet. Still thinking about picking up some Trish M. mascara. :)

    ReplyDelete