Friday, April 3, 2009

Product!

My blogs have been on the deeper side as of late, which I love, because I have said what has been on my heart. Those who know me best, however, also know that I have quite the shallow, superficial, product-loving side to me as well. I am oddly proud of this side and my knowledge of all things makeup, haircare, etc. I am a marketers dream. As soon as I spot something new on the shelves of Walmart, in shiny new packaging, promising me fluffy hair or fringier lashes, I must, must try it. I'm pretty sure this obsession of mine is one of the reasons we are now enrolled in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. So here's the deal....I have decided that from now on, whenever I am having trouble finding something deep or meaningful to write about, I will have a product post. I can just envision all three of my regular readers waiting on pins and needles to find out what bit of product wisdom I will impart next. Without any further delay... Let's talk mascara. I really don't know a woman who doesn't wear mascara. Even the most granola-ish person I know still wears mascara. If you have time for nothing else in your morning makeup routine, put on some mascara and try to tell me you don't look better. I have two favorites, one from the drugstore and one from the department store. I will talk about them both. I can say that Dave Ramsey would want you to buy the drugstore brand. I am currently obsessed with CoverGirl's Lash Blast. It's big ole honkin' brush grabs every lash and makes them super thick. Combine it with the greatest eyelash curler on the planet, Shu Uemera's (found at Balliets or Sephora), and your lashes will darn near reach your eyebrows. Ok, that may be an exaggeration. Still, it's the best combo I've found for the "as close as I can get to false lashes without wearing false eyelashes" look.
My favorite department store brand is Trish McEvoy's High-Volume Mascara. If you have a problem with your mascara smudging and you have 25 bucks that you just can't figure out how to spend I highly recommend this stuff. It actually creates little tubes on your lashes that will not come off until you pull/wipe them off in the shower the next morning. (That part is really fun, I must admit). It also does a great job of volumizing, hence the name, and the teeny tiny brush makes it easy to grab all those lower and corner lashes.
Well, that's all for now. Next time we'll talk about universally flattering colors! It is really sad how excited I am already!
Feel free to leave product questions for me, by the way! I'd love an exuse to do "research"!

5 comments:

  1. I think you can help me! I'm clueless about product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would be some good colors on my eyes this summer? Shadows and liner. love the post! I'm excited for the clothes post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly,
    With your red hair and tan skin you have the perfect coloring for the trend I just read about in my Lucky magazine. Bronze! For lips, go sheer and light in the summer. The lipgloss shown in my mag is Rimmel's Kiss & Stay lipgloss in Hot Flash. It's $8 and can be found at Walmart. Bronzing powders are great. I like using a matte one on the forehead, nose and chin, and then one with shimmer for the cheekbones. You can use a shimmery one all over but don't go too heavy handed or you'll look like either a thirteen-year-old or a college chick headed to the clubs. For a drugstore brand, I really like Physicians Formula bronzers. I can't remember which Bobbi Brown shimmer brick you have but definitely use it this summer. The lighter colors can be used to highlight the brow bone and the darker colors can be used as eyeshadow. If you have a bronze colored one don't forget you can use it on the body too. I like to use it on shoulders and I sometimes even dust a little on my legs. Goodness knows they need it. For eyeliner, find a gold-ish, kakhi-ish green. It will be perfect with your coloring and a great daytime color. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Alyssa! I love your blog and can't wait to try the Lash Blast. I have questions about four make-up products:

    1. Eyeshadow color for a blonde! Curious about your universally flattering colors theory; I have been using browns lately, but I feel it's not the right color family for my face. Should I be using grays? Purples? Also, I like using a white lid and a darker crease, but I don't want people's first thought when they see me to be "that girl wears a lot of eyeshadow." Help!

    2. How do you apply blush? Do you do a bright color on your apples, a dark color under your cheeks at the crease, or something else?

    3. How often do you have to reapply lipcolor? I never do it, but mine always rubs off as soon as I put it on. Should I not be blotting?

    4. Recommendations for a good, drugstore-brand long-wear concealer? I've been using a stick for a few years now because it goes on thicker than a tube, but it also tugs at my undereyes. What do you use?

    xoxo,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie,
    Yay! Thanks for all your questions!
    1.I do like a brighter shimmer on your lid. Instead of white try a vanilla-ish shimmer to soften the look. Think white with a little yellow in it, but not straight-up gold. I wish I could see which browns you are using for your crease because certain browns would be really great but not ones that are super dark. I wouldn't put gray on you but I love the idea of greens. A goldish green eyeliner would be awesome on you, even drawn on in a thick line. With that you get a bold look without it being too much makeup. I'm not a huge crease person unless it's evening. I'm going to hunt down some browns at the store next time I go and get back with you on what colors I find to suit you.
    2. My friend Devin is the makeup manager at Balliets here in OK and she I always here her telling people they want a pop of color on the apples of their cheeks to get that healthy flush. The apples are the part that puff out when you give a really big smile. I actually do that really big smile when I put on my blush. Silly, but it works! The thing is, you don't want to have color only on the apple or you will look like a clown. I would take a cream blush or stain and apply it lightly on the apples all the way up the cheekbone. Just do a little at a time because a small amount goes a long way. Also, do this before you powder your face or it will streak. I set that with my face powder and then go back with a powder blush and apply it only to the cheeks. Cream blushes can be kind of tricky so let me know if you need any more tips on that. For you, go with a peachy pink. My cream blush is Bobbi Brown right now but when I run out I am going to try that Maybelline Mousse kind.
    3. I reapply lipgloss all throughout the day because I am an addict. I'm pretty sure I would apply it even if it hadn't worn off. I really, really, REALLY love the fairly new Loreal Infallible lipgloss. Even after the major shine comes off it still leaves some color that really does stay put. I don't think it lasts 8 hours like they said but longer than most. The color I have would look awesome on you too. It's called Sunset and it's the only color you will need for summer. Not opaque but not too sheer and shimmery without being glittery.
    4.Stick concealers are perfect for blemishes but NOT for undereye because, as you said, it tugs at that delicate skin. You want to use a liquid for that area and use your ring finger to pat, not rub, it into place. It is weaker than your pointer finger so, naturally, you won't tug on the skin as much when you are applying it. I have tried a basquillion different kinds and I keep coming back to Maybelline's Mineral Power Natural Perfecting concealer.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete