Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Nursery - Some more updates

Well, the nursery is coming along nicely! It still has a long way to go (bedding, stuff for walls, more pillows, decorative stuff, etc.) but I've been working hard on it and I thought I'd show you the latest updates.

Ok, so we all remember that this is how the room started out, right..... And then I showed you what it looked like with the new paint...
Here are some new pics with some descriptions so you know what else I have planned. First of all, let me say that I totally realize that rug is much to small for that space. I found it at Hobby Lobby and it was on clearance for EIGHT DOLLARS so I reeeeaaalllllyy wanted it to work. Alas, it doesn't so it looks like I will have to order the original one I found HERE for $150.00. Boo.
I'm horrible at remembering to take "before" photographs! I wish I had taken one of this dresser. It is a dresser from the '70s and the color brown was awful. The handles were brass. So I painted it the aqua and sprayed the handles red. I LOVE how it turned out. I ordered the polka dot changing pad cover to match the bedding and it should be here in a few days. I'm going to paint the small black picture frame I just don't know what color yet. I also ordered the alphabet letters for this wall but they will take 5 to 8 weeks to come in. I can't wait to start painting, staining and covering them!

Again, I totally should have taken a before pic of this lamp. It was suuupper cheap at Gordmans. I brought it home, sprayed the bottom a metallic brown color and covered the shade. The fabric has metallic leather circles on it and cost more than the lamp itself!
So, I got it into my head that I HAD to have red and white chevron fabric for the curtains. HAD. TO. Well, of course, I could find every other color of chevron fabric on the internet but absolutely no red. I finally stumbled upon a website called Spoonflower. It is the greatest thing ever! Designers (or you yourself if you want) can upload their designs to be printed onto fabric and sold. It is a wonderful place to find modern, geometric prints. I read somewhere on the website that you can contact the designers and ask them to create something for you! I found a girl that already had a grey and white chevron and asked if she could put a design up for sale in red and white. She emailed me back the next with the proof for my approval! I told her I loved it and she let me know when it was officially available to for sale. You can order swatches, fat quarters, and different yard increments. I was so happy I found the website and I was thrilled with my fabric when it came in! I found some way cheap curtain rods at Ross and painted them the aqua color to help them pop. I did both windows the exact same way.
You can't tell the color very well in the next pic, but the two larger pillows are a deep aqua velour from Pier 1. I made another pillow with the rest of the lampshade material. I'm going to order a pillow that matches the bedding to also go in the window. I'm still on the hunt for other small pillows to fill that space up.
Once again, no before pic. This rocking chair is very special to me because it is the chair my Nana rocked me and my cousins in when we were babies. She just passed away in January and my Papa gave me the chair for the nursery. While the color wood isn't my favorite, I'm not touching it. I did, however, cover the cushions because they were a ratty, old, burgundy corduroy. I also made the little dog initial pillow for the chair.
Here's a better pic of the chair fabric. It almost has an sheen to it in person.
As you can see in the next pic, I still need to find a little side table to paint (going garage sale-ing this weekend) and I need the floor lamp for the corner. I ordered a cheap one from Walmart's website that has a plain white drum shade. I will spray the base the same as the other lamp but I'm not sure about the shade yet.
Obviously, I still need the bedding. The collage of prints that I showed you in THIS post will go on the wall above the crib. You can see the bedding at that post, as well. Not sure about the other wall yet. I'm obsessed with the frames at The Organic Bloom and all the colors they come in, but I'm not sure if frames are what I want up againt another wall full of frames. Again, something else to figure out.

So that's it for now!!! I hope you like the progress and updates! More to come!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! The dresser is just fabulous, and that lamp is awesome!!! Everything is coming together!! Can't wait to see the bedding and new rug in place! Yay!! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and the curtains!!! LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Alyssa! You are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing!! Everything has come together so perfectly. Now can you get on a plane and come help me? No really... :)

    ReplyDelete