Sunday, January 17, 2010

Products I love!!!

It has been a long time since I've written a product post which is strange since I luuuuuv me some product! I have some new favorites I want to share and I thought I would also touch on my must-haves that I have mentioned in the past (for you new readers).

Ok, I will start with hair: My hairdresser, Brenton, gave me samples of Agadir Argan Oil. I'm pretty sure that if my house were on fire this is one of the things I would save. I have the kind of hair that isn't straight but it's not curly. It's an unattractive middle-of-the-road wavy. It is still fine in texture and if I ever let it airdry it is frizzy ugliness. Until now, that is!!! While my hair is still very wet I put a dime-sized amount (I have longer-ish hair) in my hand and distribute it through my hair. When I blowdry my hair, it makes it silkier and it defines my natural wave. I can even let my hair air dry for the first time in my life. Here's the other cool thing that I really don't understand since it's oil....I feel like my hair lasts longer before looking dirty and yucky. Go figure. Anyhoo, you can get it at Brenton's salon, Salon Avignon. For those of you in Edmond, it is at Rankin and Second across from UCO in the gray townhouses. He's all the way back in the corner.

Skincare: I really wish I had some drugstore secret weapon for you on this one but I don't. Since I am getting closer to 30 I decided this year that I really needed to start taking care of my skin if I want it to look good when I'm older. This means I have to wear eye cream EVERYDAY without forgetting anymore. I recently started using Bobbi Brown's cleansing oil (another oil, I know) and her Hydrating Face Cream and I have been able to tell a huge difference in my skin in a short amount of time. The texture is much smoother and my face is more supple, more cushiony, if you will. I was also having problems with sunscreen causing little whiteheads on my chin and cheeks so I started using the Skinceuticals brand from my dermatologist and I haven't had any problems. Lastly, my secret weapon! It requires a prescription but in that fire I would definitely be saving this little tube of cream! It is Epiduo and it has completely saved my skin. Last Spring I started getting adult acne. I had never had acne like that before and it was very frustrating. My derm. prescribed an oral antibiotic for the red, inflammed, cystic bumbs. It worked well after a couple of months and I have since been able to come off of that. He also prescribed Epiduo topical cream to combat all the little white bumbs (clogged pores) I had all over. I can honestly say that I don't have a single one now. But, if I go a day or two without using I instantly have three on my chin. My skin texture is now completely smooth instead of bumpy and it also helps with fine lines. Oh, and it's also been fading the hyperpigmentation spots left behind by former zits. It's amazing stuff so if you are having problems with your skin I highly recommend you ask your dermatologist about it!

Ok, now we are to my favorite type of product...MAKEUP!:
Here are my staples that I swear will never change:
1. Undereye concealer - Maybelline Mineral Power
It is very important that you do not use a thick concealer under your eyes. For one, it settles into your fine lines but mainly because trying to spread and blend something thick on that delicate skin tugs at it therefore causing sagging over time. This is a liquid and I personally like it better than any department store brand I've tried. There have been a lot :)
2. Blemish concealer - MAC (the kind in the pot)
I have used this since college. It covers the best and stays on the longest. What more do you need?
3. Powder - Maybelline Dream Matte Pressed Powder
Since I am soooo pale I like the matte look. If you are more olive toned or really tan you probably don't want matte. This perfectly cuts shine without looking cake-y. I have used Yves Saint Laurent matte pressed powder before. That stuff is $45 and I put this Maybelline powder up next to it any day.
4. Loreal Infallible Lipgloss in Sunset
Any time a new lipgloss hits the market I try it out. There is still no better gloss than Infallible. Sunset is a color that works over any lipcolor I have and I think would look good with a lot of different skintones. If you don't think it's a color for you then try a different one - just try the gloss. It sets into something more like a liquid lipcolor. The texture is perfect and it stays put!

Here are some of my new finds:
1. Flirt (Kohls) Far Out Lengthening Mascara-
I still love me some Cover Girl Lash Blast but my mom gave me a tube of this and I have been very impressed! Instead of a brush it just has a teensy little comb. I thought when I saw the comb that it would help lengthen and separate but that there was no way it could volumize. I was wrong! I was right about the first two but it actually got my lashes every bit as full as Lash Blast does and, with that comb, you can easily get mascara all the way onto the tips of your lashes. Doing your bottom lashes is a breeze. I will definitley buy this again.
2. Bobbi Brown Metallic Long-Wear Cream Shadow in Antique Gold -
This stuff is awesome! You can apply it with your finger for a look that's sheer or with a brush for a more opaque look. The texture is dreamy and it is super blendable. The best part is there is no re-apply! When I go to take my makeup off at the end of the day it is still there! I love the antique gold color because it can go gray or brown depending on what you are wearing. It has shimmer in it but you can control how much based on how you apply it (finger or brush). It is very easy to take from a day look to an evening look. Like the lipgloss, even if you don't like that specific color, just get one in any color. You won't be disappointed!

Well, is that enough information in one post!!!! I hope some of you find a new product to love out of all of this. Also, I LOVE to answer product questions (I dream of having my own column) so if you have any questions about what colors to use, what products to use, etc. I'd love to help! Just let me a question in the comments and I'll write you back.

Alright, I'm off to apply my eyecream before bed!

1 comment: