Wednesday, April 20, 2011

To all my friends of the pasty variety...

(Note: I have changed the word in my title back and forth between "pasty" and "pastey" because I have no clue which one is correct. I asked my mother how to spell it and her first answer was "Alyssa". Ha ha, mom. She then replied that it should be "pasty" and as an example she said "haste" turns into "hasty". So there you have it. If it's wrong...blame my mom.)

If you are a fair maiden like me (make that extremely fair, in my case), then you know it can be kinda hard to find the perfect blush color. You have to find the perfect halfway mark between too much color and not enough.

All you glowing, tan people have always made me so jealous in the fact that you can wear no makeup and have the "fresh faced" look. If I wear no makeup people ask me if I'm feeling ok because I look ill. For a pale gal to get the "natural, fresh" look, we have to actually apply makeup skillfully enough for it to look like we aren't wearing any. We MUST have color on our cheeks. Even if I wear nothing else but a bit of mascara, I will always have blush on.

Up until this past year I have always searched for THE color. Everything I tried was either too hot pink, too peachy, or just not pigmented enough for me to bother with it. I was lamenting this fact to my friend Anthony at my local Dillards Bobbi Brown counter. He informed me that Bobbi had made a blush specifically for pale people. WHAAATTT???? How had I not known about this???? He then swept her Illuminating Bronzing Powder in Antiqua on my cheeks and I was in love.

I'm not posting a pic of it because I don't think the color on the website looks anything like my actual bronzer. It's a beautiful peachy-pink with a hint of shimmer. It doesn't have too much shimmer though so you can wear it every month of the year. It doesn't scream summer, and I don't even think of it as a bronzer because it's so unlike any bronzer I've ever seen or used. It has the perfect amount of pigment so it shows up without overpowering your face. It is $33 which is more than I usually ever pay for blush but I've had it a year - using it every day - and I still have plenty of it. In my opinion it's worth it.

If you live in the OKC area, you can find Bobbi at the Penn Square Dillards or at Balliets on the Classen Curve. You can also order it online, of course. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm always looking for "products for pasty people". I know you've posted about lipstick before, but any you recommend? I'm so fair (and unlike you don't have dark hair or eyes to offset it), and also really hate the feel of traditional lipstick...any great lipsticks for fair people that feels more like chapstick you could recommend?

    I've been reading you blog for a while, love seeing the crafts you do and hearing about Hayden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few brands of lipstick in mind but I'm going to do a bit of research on the colors and get back to you! Look for my answer in a post soon! Thanks for your question!

    ReplyDelete