Saturday, April 23, 2011

Scrumptious Potato Dish & Yummy Carrot Cake

I have a couple of friends who post recipes regularly on their blogs and I love that......so I'm stealing the idea! I created a Hayden's Heroes cookbook as a fundraiser for the CF Foundation and it has all of my favorite recipes in it plus those of family and friends. I think that once a week I will plan to post a recipe from the book that we have tried and love.

I thought I'd post a couple of my favorite Easter recipes. I realize that it probably would have been more helpful if I had shared these a little earlier than the night before Easter. Sorry. I have pregnant brain and apparently can't think that far ahead.

This first recipe is for Sinful Potatoes and it is, hands-down, my favorite side dish. I could literally eat an entire 8x8 pan by myself as a my main meal. You can make it for any kind of meal - it goes with everything- but it's especially yummy with ham so my mom prepared it a lot for Easter lunches.



Sinful Potatoes


1 2lb. pkg. frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed


1/2 c. melted margarine or butter


1 tsp. salt


1/4 tsp. pepper


1 can cream of mushroom soup


2 c. shredded cheddar cheese


2 c. sour cream


unseasoned bread crumbs




1. Combine all ingredients, except bread crumbs in a large bowl. 2. Spread into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover entire surface with bread crumbs. 3. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.




This next recipe is for a really yummy and moist carrot cake. I make this every year for Easter and decorate the top with some small turquoise ceramic eggs that belonged to my Nana.




Carrot Cake


4 eggs


1 1/4 c. vegetable oil


2 c. white sugar


2 tsp. vanilla


2 c. flour


2 tsp. baking soda


2 tsp. baking powder


1/2 tsp. salt


2 tsp. ground cinnamon


3 c. grated carrots


1 c. chopped pecans


Frosting:


1/2 c. butter, softened


8 oz. cream cheese, softened


4 c. powdered sugar


1 tsp. vanilla


1 c. chopped pecans




1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two round cake pans; set aside. 2. Beat together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. 3. Stir in carrots; fold in pecans. 4. Bake 40-50 minutes.


Frosting:


Combine all frosting ingredients but pecans and beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in pecans. Frost cake once cooled.




I hope everyone has a Happy and Blessed Easter tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so I stopped by your blog late Saturday night, and the potato recipe was perfect for our Easter dinner. I made 2 batches of it, and my relatives were literally fighting over who got the last spoonful! Hehehe! Great recipe - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAVE to try this potato dish! Sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete