Friday, November 27, 2009

Holiday Crafting ADD

I have been making stuff like crazy! The holiday season gets my creative juices flowing! The only problem is that I will be only halfway through one project when I get an idea for another one. Instead of finishing what I was working on, I abandon it to be finished later while I go start another one. This first project I actually started and finished in one day. That's because I decided two days before Hayden's tasting feast recital at school that she needed to wear a "gobble gobble" shirt. She wore it on Thanksgiving as well.
I had to show a pic of how cute the headband my friend Kristin made looked with it.

Ok, so since I was finished with the Thanksgiving shirt, I decided I would make Hayden an outfit to wear for her picture at the mall with Santa.

I had ironed the letters into place with my iron-on adhesive and sewn down one "H" when I decided I should try to make some cute new stockings. I have wanted the stockings with a leopard print ruffle from Ballard Designs forever but I have refused to pay $35 a piece. These, of course don't look identical but I think they have the whimsy to them that I liked with the other ones. For the initial I used the iron-on transfer paper you can print on. I printed my letters out from my computer, cut the letter out and ironed it on! That simple! Then I added one iron-on rhinestone for a little extra bling.

So that last picture shows all three stockings completed and hanging, but there was quite a period of time after the first one was completed before I got back around to the other two. That's because after making one stocking I was dying to move on to my Christmas pillow. I bought some pale green burlap at Hobby Lobby to go with the damask and leopard. I made it with an opening in the back so it can just slip over an existing pillow each Christmas season. It looks like the red and white ruffle is missing in the bottom left corner but it's actually just tucked under. I didn't notice that until I'd already uploaded all the pics. I ran out of damask but as soon as I get some more I am going to make two square pillows that say "joy" and "cheer".Once again, even though you are seeing the finished product, in reality, after just sewing one ruffle to the front part of the pillow the thought hit me - now that I have iron-on transfer paper, I can print out a vintage Christmas image, iron it on a t-shirt for Hayden and add a leopard print ruffle, and it will be SO CUTE!This was the easiest shirt I have EVER made! I found the image online, printed it on my transfer paper, trimmed the image out, ironed it on, sewed a ruffle around the neckline and Voila! It took twenty minutes! Since that one was so fast I actually did finish it before moving on to my next project. We do red and white lights on the outside of our house so I decided to do a Christmas wreath for our front door in the same colors. For some reason I don't think it photographed as pretty as it looks in real life. I feel like it looks fuller in person. The grapevine wreath was half-off of $3.99 at Hobby Lobby then all the sprays were half-off as well. I need to look at my receipt to see how much I spent on the wreath stuff but I know it was waaay cheaper than buying one ready-made.
I tucked one of these little red beaded birds in there. Loved him!
Another detail shot
That's it for the craft projects. As you could see I did eventually go back and finish my pillow and stockings but I still need to sew down the "ho ho ho" on Hayden's shirt. Maybe tomorrow. Right now, I'm worn out!

Ok, I didn't make these but I wanted to share with you that I found these cute shimmery cone trees at Dollar Tree for A DOLLAR! (obviously), I couldn't pass them up. Run out and get some while they still have some left! I'm going to put my tree up tomorrow. Hopefully I have some energy left!

2 comments:

  1. you are seriously so crafty! i love it!! and i think the stockings turned out very ballard design like! good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative, Alyssa!!! I love what you have done. So sorry to have missed Tasting Feast. It is always so much fun to see the little ones perform for the first time and then go downstairs to sample goodies they made in school. I'll see you on Monday!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete