Saturday, December 5, 2009

Christmas Traditions - Old and New

I have something very special in my home this year. It is the first year for me to have my grandmother's Christmas village. The buildings, part of the Dept. 56 New England Village, are beautiful but that's not why they are special to me. Every Christmas break as a little girl I would help Nana set up this village in my grandparent's home. I remember loving watching her lay out all her white batting to look like snow and I always enjoyed her telling me what each building was as the placed them in their exact spot. My favorite part, however, was helping sprinkle the fake snow everywhere once everything was in place.

My grandparents moved into an assisted living apartment in Ponca City last year due to Nana's declining health. Since she no longer had room for her village she asked if I would like to have it. Without hesitation I said yes. I asked if she would help me put it up for the first time when they were down for Thanksgiving. I will always cherish this picture of her with the village in my home and each year in the future that I put up this village, I will think of her. I can't wait to have Hayden help me each year and I hope that she grows to love it as much as I do.One of the many things I love about being a parent is getting to continue cherished traditions from your childhood while also starting new traditions of your own. I decided that, out of the tradition of Nana's village, I would start Hayden her own Dept. 56 village and get her one piece from it each year. I decided on the The North Pole Village. It is very colorful and whimsical and I know Hayden will love it. Here is the first piece - The Twinkle Toes Ballet Academy:
I love picturing her passing both the New England Village and her North Pole Village down to her children or grandchildren someday, telling the story of how she and I put them up together every year. My mom has always said that I got Nana's sentimental gene. It's something we have in common that I love. She knows that each thing she passes down to me will be treasured and I hope that means something to her. When I told Nana that I was starting this new tradition she immediately said she wanted to buy Hayden her first piece. The fact that she has started Hayden's new collection means a lot to me. This way she will always be a part of the Christmas traditions - both the old and the new.

No comments:

Post a Comment