Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Catching Up!

Ok, let's see.....what has been going on since the last time I posted....Well, first off, Hayden had school pics at the end of last month. I made sure to take some with my camera before school. Since the background was in autumnal colors, I thought this shirt would be cute and I added (read: hot glued) the orange crocheted flower to an existing headband. I think she looked pretty cute but since the pictures were going to be after recess there's no telling what her hair looked like in the end.
I am going to NYC in a week and a day!!!! Yay! There's nothing more I really have to say about that one, I guess.
I decided to pull Haydie out of school until she can get her swine flu vaccine. I have already had her out about a week and I thought she was going to get vaccinated this week. Unfortunately, the first round of vaccines that were delivered this yesterdat are in nasal mist form. People with underlying conditions, like Hayden, can't do the mist and instead need to wait TWO MORE WEEKS for the injection. I'm still trying to figure out why, considering the people with underlying conditions were supposed to be the first to need and receive the shot, they first made a version that those people can't even have! Anyway, I absolutely hate it for her that she isn't getting to go to school. I'm also kind of missing my alone time a wee bit (understatement), but I am trying to come up with fun and creative things to do around here so she doesn't get bored and I don't go insane. :)
Yesterday we went to see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs". It was cute but I lost her about half-way through. It was her first time seeing a movie in the actual theatre so I didn't know how she would do. I also picked up a bunch of library books and I think I will probably switch them out every three days or so to keep it new.
I think this afternoon we will probably make some cookies together and then I'm sure I will precede to eat them all. I'm pretty gifted in cookie eating. I can take down two cookie sheets of No Bake cookies in no time. Not that I ever have.....just saying....;)
Something fun that we did this morning was a tissue paper art kit that I got at Best of Books for about $10. It was really easy for Hayden to do and she and I had a lot of fun with it. You peel off the paper bit by bit, scrunch up the tissue paper squares, and stick it to the shape. Here's some pics of the process and her masterpieces:

Ryan and I are chairing the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's Breath of Life Gala again this year. We have LOTS of money still to raise in order to meet our goal. Ninety cents of every dollar donated to this foundation goes straight to medical research. I won't get on my soapbox right now but, the medical advances for CF are amazing right now. There is a drug in stage 3 clinical trials that will be life-changing for Hayden. She will be able to take three pills a day and do no other treatments! It will correct the underlying defect rather than just treating the symptoms. She should no longer even have a mucus problem on this drug. It will be almost as if she doesn't even have CF! We need this drug to make it but it takes funding!
There, that was a mini version of my speech :) The gala is November 13th. If anyone wants tickets or would like to donate just let me know!
Let's see, what else...I have a modeling job the next two nights at the Skirvin greeting people from 9 to midnight and a photo shoot tomorrow afternoon for The Oklahoman. I am going to be sooo tired! But hey, if they want to pay me a very nice hourly amount to stand there with a smile on my face and say "hi" to people, I'm all for that. I think I'm going to check out Mistletoe Market on Friday and then I'm doing Race for the Cure on Saturday morning. I'm sure I'll have some pics from that. We are walking in honor of my mom's best friend, Donna, who just recently found out that she had breast cancer. She is cancer-free now as they caught it in time.
I think that's all. I'm pretty sure this might have been my most exciting post yet. Or maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. That is certainly encouraging news on the CF research!!! Makes me excited for Hayden and her mommy and daddy. On the school front, we have missed Hayden at school, but know how important it is for her to stay well. Looks like you guys are having fun. When things get boring, break out the glitter! Princesses love the bling!

    Ninny/Liz/Teacher
    http://ninnysnotesblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany (Smith) CargillOctober 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM

    If you're still looking for things to do with Hayden & have left over tissue paper, she can "tye-dye" a shirt. Just get a light colored plain cotton shirt (headband, socks, whatever) - lay the tissue paper on the clothing - spray it down with water - let it dry. I haven't done this myself yet, but I read it on a blog awhile back. I'm sure you creative ladies could probably even make a design with the tissue paper.
    Hope she can get back to school soon! I know it's so hard on kids when they have to miss.

    ReplyDelete