Thursday, February 25, 2010

M.I.A.

My presence on this blog might be a little scarce for a while. My new blog, HERE, is becoming a more time consuming project than I realized it was going to be. Quite honestly, I started it because many of the other contestants for Mrs. Oklahoma had one and I didn't want to look uninvolved to the judges just in case they like to do a lot of web-surfing. While I doubt that one of the questions in interview will be "And how many posts did you write on your blog this past year" I didn't want to take any chances.
I was kind of worried when I first thought about starting a blog for Mrs. Greater Edmond that I didn't have enough to blog about. I am starting it only and month and a half out from the pageant, afterall. I really didn't see myself making tons of appearances between now and then when I have a long list of things to do such as: get a spray tan, find earrings for interview, practice walking in my 4 1/2 inch heels, buy a new pair of spanx, etc.
I was envisioning posts like "well, let's see, today I did 20 crunches in order to prepare for swimsuit...." Basically, I thought I'd actually be hurting myself with a last-minute blog. But as I was writing my first post I realized.....this was the place I could have a true voice for CF. It is my platform issue and that issue is my reason for doing the pageant in the first place, so it makes sense for me to talk about it there NON-STOP. I usually try to refrain from talking someone's ear off in public about the disease, the science, the foundation because, people, I could go on FOR-EV-ER. It just isn't always the right time and place to do that. But this new blog has become that place and I feel that I have been called to this time - that this time in our journey is where I am really supposed to step it up.
I made a list and I actually have something different I want to say about CF or the CF Foundation every day until the pageant. I made myself add some other things to the list but not too many because this is what it is about for me. If I'm being true to why I'm going through this process, this is what matters above all else.
Does anyone else feel that writing their blog is like therapy? I love to write anyway but, having a place to write about our stories with this disease and its difficulties, along with the hope and excitment I feel over the medical breakthroughs going on right now, is wonderful for me. Pair that with the possibility that it might actually affect someone, or draw much needed attention to this orphan disease and I am more motivated to write than ever before.
So, I probably won't be posting about mascara or burlap over here for a while. (I'll pause while you all shed a tear). I hope you'll follow me over to the new blog and join me in my journey to make a difference....while wearing 4 1/2 inch heels.

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with ya! See you on the other blog!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to read about where your heart is!! Serving others is truly what being Mrs. Oklahoma is all about. I can't wait to meet you!

    I agree that blogging is therapeutic. Sometimes I struggle with the fine line between being authentic and sharing too much information with the world. But I believe that being authentic is the best things you can do! You are beautiful in every sense of the word.

    I can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete