Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Well, this is not how I pictured spending my Wednesday...

...waiting for poop. Ah, the joys of motherhood! (I should warn you that if you are not a mom or someone else completely comfortable talking about poop, this blog entry is not for you. Just stop here.) Because of Hayden's CF-related digestive problems we are always having issues with her poop! (sorry if this is TMI) In this case, her enzymes haven't been successful enough at breaking down her food and an x-ray yesterday showed that she was VERY backed up. Let me first off say that I am so grateful it is nothing more than severe constipation because they were thinking it could be another bowel obstruction. Been there, don't want to do it again. So they prescribed her Golytely, the lovely stuff you have to drink before a colonoscopy. I was told to keep her at home the next couple of days and give her 3-4 oz. every six hours until she's running clear. Fun times! Well, of course a toddler isn't going to want to drink stuff so nasty adults have trouble downing it! I flavored it with crystal light powder but after one drink she handed it back to me and said "No thank you". I am not above bribery so, after promising her a Hershey's kiss and syringing all four ounces into her mouth a tsp. at a time (that's how she wanted me to do it), we had the first round down. I don't know what I expected but this hasn't been it. I was picturing a kind of Niagra Falls out her hind end. (again, TMI, sorry!) I just gave her the second dose of liquid and at this point we've only had one poopy diaper. So, I'm here, armed with my diapers, wipies, syringe and Hershey's kisses.....waiting for poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment