Saturday, September 12, 2009

Getting my craft on...

I have been hunched over either my gluegun or sewing machine for the past two days. Man, when I get in a mood to do crafty stuff I basically do nothing else. My husband had to go get Hot 'N Ready pizzas tonight so he could have something to eat for dinner. Anyway, here was yesterday's project. It is a wreath inspired by the one I saw here. I wanted one that looked Fall-ish and would work for both September and November (I have a different one for Halloween). Wreaths like this are soooo expensive! Even when they are half price at Hobby Lobby they are still around $35. So I bought a green foam ring and a bunch of individual twigs, berries, pumpkins, feathers, etc. in HL's seasonal floral isle. They were half price this week so they were anywhere from $1-$1.50 a piece. Instead of the heavy (more expensive) gold letters they sell, I got one of the flat, plain, wooden ones back in the craft dept. They are around $2 and I just painted it cream and dry brushed it with gold craft paint. After hot-gluing all my floral pieces I tied ribbon through the letter and the wreath and voila! It was done. Here it is:Satisfied with that, I moved on to sewing. Walmart has their girls plain, long-sleeved shirts out right now in all the colors, but for now I just bought a black one and a white one to get started on my projects. I made the first one to say "Preschool Rocks" and I cut the letters out of lots of different fabrics. You definitely want to use fusible webbing on projects like this. It helps hold your letters in place while you stich them. I added a star to the back up by the collar. For the white one I did a cross, again with a detail on the back.
I also made an owl applique out of a few different fabrics but I need to get a chocolate brown shirt to put it on. I have lots of ideas still so I'm sure I'll be posting more!

1 comment:

  1. alyssa! seriously, you are good. i just bought a wreath at hobby lobby half price that looks very similar minus the super cute inital for $50! and i absolutely LOVE the shirts that you are making!!! i need to learn how to sew.

    ReplyDelete